Curfew In Kashmir, Ahead Of August 5 Anniversary, Article 370

Curfew In Kashmir, Ahead Of August 5 Anniversary, Article 370

On Tuesday and Wednesday, Kashmir valley has been imposed under a curfew. This lockdown came into force as the country’s newest Union territory mark a year since it’s formation.

The District Magistrate of Srinagar said in an order that they have received a piece of information regarding Pakistan and separatists sponsored groups planning to observe August 5 as Blak day.

“…Protests are not ruled out. There are specific inputs about violent protests endangering public life and property,” the order for Srinagar district said, though the curfew is applicable across Kashmir valley.

The order said that people involved in essential sources will be allowed to move amid the COVID-19 pandemic.

In August, last year, a similar curfew was imposed in the valley after the centre took away the special status of J&K under Article 370. The centre divided the state into 2 union territories.

During that curfew, many politicians were detained or arrested. Former CM of the state, Mehbooba Mufti is still under house arrest.

The fresh curfew imposed will also strengthen COVID-19 restrictions that are already imposed in areas of containment zones.

The DM said that amid the recent pandemic numbers spike, the movement and gathering of people have been prohibited to curb the COVID-19 spread.
“Thus, any mass gathering would be detrimental to efforts related to COVID-19 containment as well,” the district magistrate said.

Omar Abdullah, former CM who was released recently on March 11 tweeted, “preparations (for restrictions) start a full 24 hours earlier this year compared to 2019.”

“The preparations start a full 24 hours earlier this year compared to 2019 with Srinagar, and I presume the same is being done across the valley, being placed under strict curfew from tonight for the next two days,” tweeted Mr Abdullah, whose father Farooq Abdullah, also a former chief minister, was freed on March 13.

Mehbooba Mufti was put under detention on August 5 last year, still in detention. Now, she is also booked under the stringent Public Safety Act for another 3 months.

This move came on the same day when Sajad Lone was released from detention, on July 31.


Facebook Comments