Immigration To US To Be Suspended Amid Pandemic, Trump Says

6
Immigration To US To Be Suspended Amid Pandemic, Trump Says

Amidst the coronavirus, Donald Trump has announced the temporary suspension of immigrants visas to the US.

On twitter, he quotes “invisible attack” for the virus and talked about the job protection for US people.

Ever since Trump came in the power the main goal of the administration is to suspend the visas. And now due to pandemic and to stop its further spreading in the US, this action has been taken. Though, many are criticizing it and saying that the government is just using pandemic to crack down on immigration.

Mr. Trump announced for the suspension of visas on late Monday as it is said that the worst of the pandemic in the US is over and the country can begin reopening. The economy is hammered by the imposed restrictions on people’s movement, implemented by many states to curb the spread of the virus.

Over 20 million Americans have claimed that they are jobless, in the past four weeks. This number is approximately equal to the number of Americans who had jobs over the previous decade.

As per the tally by Johns Hopkins University, which is tracking the pandemic globally, the US had the most number of confirmed cases dut COVID-19 accounting to 787,000 and the Death toll in the US is 42,000 so far.

Immigration To US To Be Suspended Amid Pandemic, Trump Says

This action of suspending immigrant visas has attracted many critics.

Former Democratic presidential candidate, Julian Castro, said in a tweet that, if they cut off immigration, they crater our nation’s already weakened economy. He further called this move “dumb”.

The president has made a point of saying the coronavirus peak had passed and has been encouraging US states to reopen their economies.

Former Democratic presidential candidate, Amy Klobuchar, said in a tweet that, their country is fighting against the pandemic and as people are putting their lives at risk, the President attacks immigrants & blames others for his failures.

Thomas Homan, Trump’s former acting director of US Immigration and Customs Enforcement, defended the president’s decision by saying that it is important to protect the opportunities for Americans due to this pandemic. He said that that it is not about immigration but it is about the pandemic and keeping our country safer while protecting opportunities for unemployed Americans.

Facebook Comments