On Monday, August 10, the Lebanese government resigned as the public protested violently over the Beirut explosion, reported CNN. Public fury over the explosion in Beirut turned into violent protests across the nation.
Hassan Diab, while addressing the nation announced his resignation. Several cabinet ministers and members of parliament also resigned as they failed to calm down the outrage of the public.
“We have fought valiantly and with dignity,” he said, referring to members of his cabinet, as quoted by CNN. “Between us and change is big powerful barrier, Diab said, adding, “We have decided to stand with the people.”
In the day, 3 cabinet members quit from their post along with 7 members of the Parliament.
As quoted by IANS, on Monday the Lebanese capital city’s governor Marwan Abboud said that the explosion that hit the Beirut port has killed 200 people so far. He added that that dozens of people are still missing, majority of whom were foreign workers, reported BBC. The number of injured people rose to 7,000.
The army has meanwhile called off the rescue phase of its search operation at the port, the epicentre of the blasts which took place on 4 August.
The new figures came a day after the second night of violence in the city, as police clashed with protesters angry with the government’s response to the disaster.
The protesters have long accused the political elite of corruption, neglect and mismanagement.
There have been warnings from the UN agencies that Lebanon may have a humanitarian crisis if food and medical aid are not provided to them immediately.
Since the explosion, hundreds of thousands of people have been living in severely damaged homes, many without windows or doors.
International donors pledged $297 million in aid for Lebanon at a virtual summit on Sunday hosted by French President Emmanuel Macron. They said the funds had to be “directly delivered to the Lebanese population”.